Dr. Jahnke open the workshop with project thoughts and invited questions from the 17 participants. Following that brief discussion, the workshop had 2 special presenters who each introduced a different game platform.
Software Platform Introduction
Sara Ringbauer gave a presentation about the “ARIS” game platform. She discussed the benefits and drawbacks of using it along with providing examples.
ARIS Benefits included:
- Open Source coding for being able to share.
- Not overly complex to work with. .
- The ability to use custom coding.
- Widely Used with a number of examples to learn from.
- Support forums to help with development questions.
ARIS Drawbacks Include:
- iOS ONLY
- Advanced options require back end development skills.
You can find more out about ARIS here:
Michele Kroll followed with a similar presentation of “GuidiGO” discussing its benefits and drawbacks.
GuidiGO Benefits Include:
- Very user friendly and easy to work with.
- Works on both Android and IOS.
- Ability to integrate the use of Google Glasses.
- Widely used with a number of examples to learn from.
- Does not utilize open source coding.
You can learn more about GuidiGO here:
Before this workshop, we provided an opportunity for students to present any of their game concept ideas to help stimulate the creative process. We created an “idea Inventory” where they could place their ideas to share with potential teammates who might be interested in similar ideas.
Introduced: Starting & Scenario Conceptual Framework
To help participants, they were provided with a “Getting Started” document which touched a number of details to assist them. A “Scenario Conceptual Framework” was also introduced to help groups organize their game elements and objects to aid collaborative design and development among multiple group members.
Forming Groups & Selecting Game Platforms.
Participants formed 4 groups. Each group started to work on their game ideas and based on the presentations, picked the game platform they wished to use.
2 groups picked GuidiGO.
2 Groups picked ARIS.